Optimization of Logistics Systems (OLS)
Prof. Dr. Oliver Wendt
Prof. Dr. Daniele Vigo
Dr. habil. Mahdi Moeini
Summer term 2019
The language of the exam is English and the assignments might be answered only in English.
The language of the lectures is English.
The lectures will take place as a block during June 28 - July 1, 2019 in 42-421a.
Here is the preliminary schedule of each day:
(*) Friday 28.06.2019: 9:00-12:00 and 13:30-16:30
(*) Saturday 29.06.2019: 9:00-12:00 and 13:30-16:30
(*) Sunday 30.06.2019: 9:00-12:00
(*) Monday 01.07.2019: 9:00-12:00
Any fluctuation in the schedule will be announced on this page.
If you need further information, please contact Dr. habil. Mahdi Moeini via: mahdi.moeini(at)wiwi.uni-kl.de
The module "Computational Intelligence" comprises the two parts "Optimization of Logistics Systems" and "Introduction to Computational Intelligence". Both lectures are given in English. The whole module has 6 (2x3) ECTS.
Part: Optimization of Logistics Systems:
The course is aimed at providing an overview of the quantitative methods that can be used to support the optimal design and management of modern logistics systems. Special attention will be devoted to the demand analysis and data procurement, to the design of logistic networks and to the optimization of long distance and local transportation of freights. Illustrative examples of models and algorithms will be treated by using general purpose and special solvers.
- Recall of prerequisites
- Introduction and classification of logistics systems. How a logistics system works and which type of elements and decisions are involved in its design and management
- Logistic demand analysis and data procurement. Basic concepts of demand forecasting (time series ”¦) and the problems involved in getting other data (costs, maps, position of vehicles etc) required to design and manage a logistic system
2) Logistic Network Design
A quick overview on how to design a logistics network and manage its infrastructures
- Location problems, single and multi-echelon transportation and location models.
- Inventory management. Basic concepts and Introduction to single stocking and multi stocking point inventory problems
- Warehouse design and management. Internal structure, storage infrastructures and mechanism, Warehouse design and dimensioning, Tactical (product allocation) and operational (order picking, palletization”¦) problems
3) Long distance transportation
Covers the main issues related to the design and management of Long Distance transportation of freight within a logistic network: Freight assignment, service network design, shipment consolidation, Vehicle and Driver assignment problems.
4) Short distance transportation
Covers the design of transportation services for the distribution and collection of goods to local destinations. Illustrates the Vehicle Routing Problem family and the main solution techniques available for this class of problems.
Slides that are relevant for the exam can be found here.
Download-Center - please login
- 0.1_Optimization_and_Decision_Models_2018.pdf Download
- 0.2_Introduction_to_heuristics_2018.pdf Download
- 0_Course_KL_2018.pdf Download
- 1_-Introduction_to_logistics_optimization_2018.pdf Download
- 3.1_-_Case_study_Waste_Collection_and_Disposal_2018.pdf Download
- 3.2_-_Multiobjective_and_uncertainty_2018.pdf Download
- 3_-_Logistic_Network_Design_2018.pdf Download
- 4_-_Inventory_Management_2018.pdf Download
- Facility_integer2.xlsx Download
- pareto_labor_vs_pollution.xlsx Download
- transportation.xlsx Download
- 5_-_2018_Warehouse_Design_and_Operations.pdf Download
- 6_-_2018_Long_Haul_Freight_Transportation.pdf Download
- 7.1_-_2018_Shorhaul_Introduction.pdf Download
- 7.2_-_2018_Early_approaches_for_VRP.pdf Download
- 7.3_-_2017_Recent_approaches_for_VRP.pdf Download
- mKL.zip Download
- 7.3_-_2018_Recent_approaches_for_VRP.pdf Download
- Sample_questions_2018.pdf Download
- Sildes_for_the_course_in_Kaiserslautern_2018.pdf Download